Thursday, June 12, 2008

(I wrote this last night)

















Things are heating up. Yesterday, Amilar came up to me, around 5:20, and said, “So, I’ve asked all the students that are interested in taking an English class to come for a meeting today at 5:30.” So, 10 minutes later, I sat down with about 20 students and asked them questions about what they wanted out of a class. And today, Aaron and I talked to about 50 students to try their judge their English abilities and separate them into different classes. And, tomorrow, we will begin our first English class, a purely conversational class for a few of the more advanced students. And Friday we will begin beginner and intermediate English classes. And the weekend will be spent planning music classes that will hopefully start next week……I had been worried that I wouldn’t have enough work to do this summer, and now I am worried that I have bitten off more than I can chew.

Some of the students are practically absolute beginners in English. We did brief question and answer sessions with each student today, asking basic questions like “What is your name?”, “How old are you?”, “How many siblings do you have?”, to try to judge their English levels. Some of their answers were pretty hilarious, and Amilar and I would try not to laugh. Examples:

Me: Why are you interested in taking an English class?
Student A: No.

Me: What day is it today?
Student B: January.


















Today, I followed the river upstream. And I eventually found an absolutely amazing rock. And I sat on that giant rock overlooking the river, and the mountains in the distance, and I read a book. I have claimed this rock as my own. I predict many books will be read on this rock.

Something I forgot to write about last post: Last week, I realized that I needed to start checking the news regularly because Bayonnais is very disconnected from the world. People don’t know what’s going on in the rest of the world, or even what is going on in Haiti. The daily newspaper, if there is one, does not make it out to Bayonnais. So, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rest of the world was still alive and well, and that Obama is now the presumptive Democratic nominee. Jacque-Elie was telling me a little about the current state of Haitian politics, and I told him a little about the importance of the 2008 US election. I have found that people here are very excited about the idea of a black US president.

Creole sentence of the day:
Famn nan bay timoun sou chwal la a panye a. – The woman gives the child on the horse the basket.



















The river children that followed me on my river voyage:



4 comments:

Jared said...

So I just sat down today with finally the time/internet access to read your blog. I'm so excited for you! I can only imagine the amazing experiences you must be having on a daily basis. And props for mangos and sentences of the day.

Liza said...

Good for you, finding that river rock! I aim to find the same sort of thing in Steamboat Springs, CO, where I'm living and busing tables for my cousin's other side of the family for the rest of the summer. Sounds easy, you say? Perhaps, but the main town is so developed and touristy and we haven't a car...I'm being whiny. Anyway, I'm happy for you and your rock. I recommend producing some kind of self-portrait on it. Only partly because I would like to see it...

Good luck with classes!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you're going to stay very busy for the rest of the summer. You'll do a great job, I know. Please post a picture of the rock!

Anonymous said...

I WANT TO SEE THE ROCK! i am envious. i have not found a big rock to sit upon. YET. but i will be on the lookout...also, good luck with the chewing. also, about fruit- i was so excited about this strange fruit called granada...which had all these red corn-like kernels filled with juice...only find to find out that it was a pomegranate.